Eco Minded

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Heart Gainesville #3

TOP TEN REASONS WHY I LOVE GAINESVILLE:

3) EASY TRANSPORTATION - Gainesville is a bicycle friendly community, and you'll find plenty of bike racks and gear stores wherever you go. Matter of fact, my 80 year old Ecology professor, H.T. Odum, and several other of my instructors rode their bikes to work every day. Even the campus and local police patrol on bikes. I didn't even own a car the first 2 years I lived there...I took my "Schwinn of Sin" wherever I needed to go. And lets not forget the perk of not worrying about finding a parking space on campus for your automobile. Even though Gainesville's hit a growth spurt, it's good to know you can still get around faster than if you had to rely on 4 wheels. Cuts down on pollution, too.

When the weather would not permit cycling, I rode the public bus system, which was extensively connected, had great running hours to the campus, and - most importantly - was CHEAP. Or get the best of both worlds and take you bike ON the bus to get even further...RTS lets you do that for free.


There are also plenty of bike trails within the nearby area. For more info, check out Gainesville Cycling Club, trails.com reviews, and Florida Mountain Bike Trails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home