Eco Minded

Friday, September 01, 2006

I Heart Gainesville #1



The fall semester has begun at the University of Florida, and each year around this time I get a little soft spot in my heart remembering the semester I started my Master's degree there - hard to believe, but it was 13 years ago already (gulp). It's that time of year for me dig out my old Gators t-shirts and post the UF Fighting Gators flag on my front stoop to prepare for the start of football season on Sept 2. I love the energy of a Saturday afternoon college ball game...matter of fact, my husband and I had our first date during the Florida-Florida State game in 2003.

I find that people up here in the midwest just don't quite get the fever that overcomes us southerns as the college football season starts...it's probably much like how us southerners don't quite understand the midwest's love for that first snowfall. So I feel compelled to jot down just a few of my loves of Gainesville, and of the University of Florida, in hopes of swaying just a few minds towards understanding. This is the first in a series of "TOP TEN REASONS WHY I LOVE GAINESVILLE":

1) NATURE, NATURE, NATURE - Gainesville lives up to its 2005 award for Top Ten Cities in the USA for Outdoor Activities, and its towering old oaks dripping with spanish moss make the city an easy repeat contender for Tree City USA awards. Some of my favorite nature spots around town are:

  • Devil's Millhopper - this 120 feet deep ancient sinkhole is like a rainforest in the middle of an old pine forest, surrounded by trickling waterfalls, ferns and unbelievable wildlife. It got its name from the fossils and bones that are frequently found at the bottom of this hopper-shaped basin.


  • Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park - If you've ever driven on I-75 near Gainesville, you've crossed through this unique savannah. I used to hike this park just to watch the alligators in Alachua Sink. Native bison and sandhill cranes live there too.


  • Ginnie Springs - with a cool 72 degree water temperature year round, this crystal-clear spring-fed basin was one of the first places I ever snorkeled. The 40 foot deep caverns make for a spectacular, blue swimming experience...you can see straight to the bottom by lazily drifting on the surface, or rent some scuba gear and explore the underwater caves.


  • Kanapaha Botanical Gardens - while I lived in Gainesville, I once rented a townhouse that backed up to this park. My evening walks were among the gardens, when the admission used to be free (now it's only $5 to get in - it's worth it). I also created a multimedia exhibit that was once part of the Gardens' educational program.

  • Morningside Nature Center - there's something for everyone at this mixed ecoystem park - choose berry hunting along the wild Blueberry Trail, bird or butterfly watching, a tour of the Living History Farm, or just meander along the park's 7 miles of walking/hiking trails.

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home